There seems to be a misconception that it takes planes, trains, automobiles, mules and canoes to get to Exuma. Au contraire, it is actually quite simple and you can leave your house in the morning and be snorkeling in the gin clear waters by afternoon if you’re flying from the US or Canada.
You’ll be flying into Exuma International Airport (GGT) in Georgetown, Great Exuma. For the most amazing views, the best seat on the plane will depend on the airline’s route, but we’d recommend sitting in the window seat on the right side of the plane (if you’re standing in the front looking towards the back of the plane) on the way TO Exuma and the opposite side on the way FROM Exuma. Have your phone camera ready!
Although commercial flight options are limited, it is still fairly easy. Below are the direct flight options to research:
- Delta flies direct from Atlanta. So just get yourself to Atlanta and you’re good.
- American flies direct from Miami. Again, get yourself to Miami and no issues.
- American has also added a nonstop flight from Charlotte, NC. Woot woot!
- Silver Airways flies direct from Ft. Lauderdale.
- Bahamas Air flies direct from Nassau to Exuma. Many airlines fly into Nassau so this is your best option from there.
- Air Canada flies direct from Toronto!
As of the date of this article, Sky Bahamas has been grounded so contact them for updates.
Once you get to the airport, you’ll need to clear immigration and customs. They’ll ask the purpose of your visit, where you are staying, and a few other random questions. Grab your bags and start your adventure!
We’ll discuss rental cars and taxis in our next post! Cheers.
Check out our curated map and guides of Great and Little Exuma here.